Translate

Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Becoming a Resonant Leaderer: Post #1: Overview

 Becoming a Resonant Leader: Develop Your Emotional Intelligence, Renew Your Relationships, Sustain Your Effectiveness by Annie McKee, Richard Boyatzis, and Francis Johnston
 (Harvard Business Press, 2008), reviewed by Steve Gladis, Ph.D.

 This is a book I will be recommending to my coaching clients and their teams for a long time!
Guided by Richard Boyatzis' and Annie McKee's previous research on resonant leadership (and book by that title [[ASIN:1591395631 Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope, and Compassion]]) and coaching to the Positive Emotional Attractor, this workbook-like text provides an excellent hands-on guide, with dozens of useful exercises, to help leaders make intentional change--focused on being emotionally open and receptive.  Called the Intentional Change model, here's an overview:
a. Ideal Self: If I were the best me possible, what would that look like in the future?
b. Real Self: Who am I today--my strengths, weaknesses, and influence on others?
c. Learning Agenda: How do I move from the real to the ideal state? What interesting, challenging and enjoyable activities will get me there?
d. Experiment and Practice: How can new behaviors and habits lead to the change I wish to become?
e. Resonant Relationships: Change only happens in a supportive and nonjudgmental environment. Surrounding myself with those kinds of people is as vital as anything to me in the process. 

Put this book on your list of important reads.

No comments:

GMU Leadership and Coaching Certificates

Google Analytics