Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone does not apologize. Everyone makes that mistake too!
I suggest you check both books out. But essentially the pattern of apologizing is the following.
- Admit to the other person that what you did was wrong--not you acting at your best.
- Tell them you're sorry that you hurt them and that you feel bad about it.
- Ask for their forgiveness.
- Let them know what you'll do to stop that behavior.
- Enlist their help.
- Follow up.
- I make a couple of unkind remarks about your idea. I was wrong.
- I'm sorry, and feel like I a jerk.
- Will you please forgive me?
- I not only promise not to do it again, but if you ever hear me saying something flip or stupid, I ask that you let me know immediately.
- I'm going to tell the rest of the staff the same thing. I really have to curb my big mouth.
- I'll check back with you in a couple of weeks to see how I'm doing.