Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Measure: Post #1--Overview

Overview: On the last day of class at the Harvard Business School (HBS), Clay Christensen applies the theories the class studied all semester to the students’ lives. He lists the theories on the board and then asks three powerful questions. How can I be sure that… 1) I will be successful and happy in my career? 2) [in] my relationships with my spouse, my children and my extended family and close friends I become an enduring source of happiness? 3) I live a life of integrity and stay out of jail? Christensen, himself an HBS grad, has seen classmates like Jeff Skilling, former Enron CEO, end up in jail. The essence of this book is that if, at work and in our personal lives, we find a purpose, commit ourselves to that purpose, and measure ourselves against that purpose, our chances of happiness and avoiding bad outcomes are greatly increased.

How Will You Measure Your Life? (HarperCollins, 2012) by Clayton M. Christensen, James Allworth, and Karen Dillon, reviewed by Steve Gladis, Ph.D., February 2013.

No comments:

GMU Leadership and Coaching Certificates

Google Analytics